A home occupation business is a type of business conducted from the residence of the operator. Generally, it is conducted by the individual and his or her immediate family members and is not open to the public. Home occupations may be subject to additional standards based upon the nature of the business such as a requirement for outdoor play areas or planting beds for a home agriculture business. Other specific requirements may include limits on the amount of equipment, parts, supplies, merchandise or refuse that is stored outdoors. The home occupation shall not generate a sustained or unreasonable noise, vibration, dust, smoke, electrical interference, glare, odor, or traffic congestion on the premises and on adjoining property or in the neighborhood.

If your town has zoning laws, you will want to check with them to see what the regulations are for running a home business. They will vary from town to town and there are many factors that need to be considered.

In general, a home occupation can only be conducted in a residential dwelling or detached private garage located on the lot where the residence is located. The home occupation must be accessory, incidental and secondary to the residential use of the lot.

In some cases, if the type of business is not compatible with the existing or intended residential character of the surrounding zoning district, then the home occupation would be considered a Major Home Occupation. A Major Home Occupation would require a Special Permit and must comply with the provisions of the Zoning Ordinance.