Emotional Support Animal (ESA) laws in california are pretty straight forward. They are very similar to the rules laid out by HUD and the Fair Housing Act in that landlords cannot discriminate against owners of emotional support animals if they have a mental or emotional disability. This can include things like depression, anxiety, stress, ADHD, PTSD, bipolar disorder, and other conditions that cause an emotional impairment.

Similarly, employers in California must make reasonable accommodations for employees with an emotional support animal. This can include allowing them to bring their pet to work, providing them with a safe place to keep their pet while at work, and other measures. As a general rule, it’s best to be open and honest with your employer about your ESA needs so you can work through any issues that may arise.

In general, the FEHA protects people with disabilities from discrimination by both housing providers and airlines. It is very important to know your rights as an ESA owner, especially in California, since the Golden State has some of the most progressive laws regarding ESAs in the nation.

Getting an ESA letter in california is the first step to protecting your rights. This is a document written by a mental health professional that verifies your need for an emotional support animal. There are a lot of therapists in california who specialize in writing these documents for their patients. The process of obtaining an ESA letter is relatively simple, and you can get started online or in-person. In the latter case, you’ll want to make sure that your LMHP is licensed in California and familiar with the state’s ESA laws.